As much as we wish otherwise, it is not always possible to avoid using our credit cards. In some instances, emergencies or negative cash flow situations can lead to getting in over one's head with an enormous amount of debt. This can lead to a great many financial setbacks. As such, it is most definitely advised to look towards means of paying off your credit cards as quickly as possible to get out of the debt rollercoaster. How can this be achieved? Here are a few helpful tips:
· Pay off the high interest credit cards first. It is these high interest cards that are an enormous weight and burden on the back of anyone looking to get out of debt in a relatively short amount of time. Rather than see you money go towards high interest payments, pay these debts off as fast as humanly possible. This will lead to a much
better conclusion to your current credit woes.
· Always pay more than the minimum monthly amount. When you just pay the minimum, you greatly drag out the process for getting out of a great deal of debt. Rather than find yourself in such an unenviable scenario, pay off as much as you can towards a particular card each month. This will expedite the payoff quicker than most would imagine.
· Transfer the balances of high interest rate cards to low interest rate ones. If you are paying the outrageous amount of 21% interest per month, moving the debt to a card with 8% interest will certainly prove to be a wise move. This will aid in boosting your ability to get out of debt in a relatively short amount of time. Of course, you do
need to eventually pay the debt off. Simply moving debt perpetually from one card to the next will not aid in achieving this goal. Hence, you need to always seek to pay off the balances regardless of the interest on the card.
· Do not use your credit card frequently. When you pay off what you owe, refrain from picking the card up and using it again. This is a huge mistake many people make and it is what gets them into the never ending cycle of debt they can find no solution to. Rather than deal with such an impossible scenario, it would be a much better plan to
pay cash when possible. This will help keep your debts low.
· Exploring the options available with credit card debt settlement may be advised if you are in a severely bad financial bind. Debt settlements involve paying a lump sum settlement on the amount owed as a way of avoiding bankruptcy. While this may seem like a decent idea on the surface, there is another problem with it. Mainly, you can severely harm
your credit rating as a result. As such, debt settlement should be left as a last resort when you have no other options. For some, however, it turns out to be the wisest choice they have made.